Bookmark Site Submit Item Search Email Page Send Comment

MGI Bill Information


What's New with the GI Bill?

As of October 1st 2003, the new basic Monthly Rates are up to $985 for full time students!

In 2001 Congress passed the Education Provisions Act, which has brought numerous changes to the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB). 

Now you can get an additional $5,400 for education!

Get up to an extra $150 @ month increase above the standard MGIB "pay rate." This may increase your total benefits by $5,400.

How do I apply?
To apply you must be a Category 1 (linked thru eligible service member and elect to contribute up to an additional $600 before you separate. This means you can contribute up to a total of $1800 - your mandatory $1200 payment when you sign up for MGIB benefits, plus $600. Active duty members can contribute (to their military branch) in increments of $20 up to $600.

Now you can use Tuition Assistance (TA) in conjunction with the MGIB!

Tuition Assistance Top-up is a program offered by the VA to use your MGIB to supplement the military provided TA program. Top-up will cover the difference between the total cost of a college course and the amount of Tuition Assistance that is paid by the military.

For example, if you are taking a course that costs $1000, your tuition assistance would cover approximately $750; you can use Top-up to cover the remaining balance.

Who's eligible for the Top-up benefit?
If you are an active duty servicemember who has served at least 2 full years on active duty, are eligible for the MGIB, and have been approved for federal Tuition Assistance by a military department, you are eligible for Top-up.

What can Top-up be used for?
The benefit is available for all courses that are eligible for standard TA.

How do I apply for Top-up?
If you haven't previously filed a claim for MGIB, you should do the following:
  • Request TA from your branch of service. For more details, see the Tuition Assistance Overview.
  • Complete an application for VA education benefits, VA Form 22-1990. Indicate "Top-up" on the VA application in item 1A under the MGIB-Active Duty block.
  • Send your TA approval form, along with the application for VA education benefits, to the VA Regional Processing Office that handles your claim. The address is on the form.

Accelerated Payments

You can receive up to $6000 in accelerated payment for education leading to a High-Tech job!

Expanded opportunity for Pre-1977 Vets

Vietnam-era Veterans can now convert their Vietnam-era GI Bill benefits to the "New" MGIB Bill making them worth up to $41,580 in benefits!

Distance Education

The VA now permits payment for independent study programs if they lead to a certificate that reflects educational attainment offered by an institution of higher learning.

How do I apply for MGIB benefits?
You can apply for the GI Bill by filling out and following the instructions on VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits. For more details, see How to Apply for GI Bill Benefits (linked thru and get started using your benefits today!

Send me Comments and Suggestions

Page added:  15 November 2004